Apple Crisp Divine
Updated: Dec 5, 2018
In the fall and winter months I tend to do a lot of baking! I mean who doesn't love the smell of freshly baked apple pie, or cookies in the oven. A few years ago I started making apple crisp, but all the recipes I found called for oats and it was never really crisp enough for me. So about a year ago I started making apple crisp using granola and it is divine!! My husband loves it and wants it all the time, my family wants me to make it for every family function/gathering. So I've decided to share the recipe and my secret ingredient, granola!
The basics of the recipe I got from a Pinterest recipe and the link is below. However, I use this recipe as a guide for measurement purposes.
I don't follow the recipe all the way through, so below I've also outlined, how I make it.
So here's what you need to make Apple Crisp Divine (that's what I'm calling it)
(1) 9x13 pan
12 to 13 red delicious apples peeled, cored and sliced (I find red delicious apples naturally sweeter than granny smiths and it makes the apple crisp taste better)
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup pure maple syrup (or any syrup you use at home on waffles/pancakes)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or if you're like me you pour until you think it's enough)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 box (16 oz) of Oats & Honey Granola (I use the Stop & Shop brand, there's a pic below, but you can use any brand of granola but the oats and honey add a little sugar to it so it's divine!)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Take pan and spray with non stick pan, sprinkle a little bit of flour so the apples won't stick.
3. Peel, slice and core apples
4. In a large bowl add 1 tbsp all purpose flour, the apples and 1 tbsp vanilla extract mix it well together.
5. Add 1/2 cup of maple sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon and 2 tbsp of brown sugar mix together well.
6. In a separate bowl pour Oats & Honey Granola, break up the large clusters the best you can.
7. Add 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon and mix together
8. Melt 1 cup of butter and pour over the granola and mix the melted butter into the granola
9. Sprinkle granola over apples
10. Bake for 30 minutes covered, then uncover and bake for another 15 to 25 minutes
When the apple crisp is done let it cool for 5 minutes and serve with Vanilla Bean ice cream, topped with caramel sauce of you can do just the ice cream on top. Either way once you have Apple Crisp Divine, you'll never go back to making apple crisp with oats again!
*The oats i use do have almonds in it, in case someone has an allergy.
Check out the pictures below and share some with me if you try this recipe at home!